Sunday, September 7, 2008

Big Snake

I now know why I dreaded potty training so much. It really is HORRIBLE! At least that's what I thought Friday afternoon through Saturday morning. I totally wanted to give up and stop for a few weeks, month, who knows. Tucker did excellent Thursday evening and Friday morning. We set the timer, he'd sit on the potty...things were good. Then his independent spirit took over and it was "NO! NO! NO!" Everytime the timer would go off I'd get all excited and say, "Let's go pee pee on the potty" and he'd tell me NO and say he didn't need to go, then one minute later, he'd pee in his underwear. So frustrating.

Finally I stripped him of his Buzz/Nemo underwear and made him go commando. We stopped with the timer too. Guess what? That works for us. And we pulled out his little potty chair, now he can watch Little Einsteins and not have to miss a moment. He will tell me "It's coming", sit down and pee in his potty. Then he'll even take it to the bathroom, dump it in the potty, flush the toilet and be on his way to get his treat. I can't believe it! He's actually doing it on his own. Yesterday morning I was upstairs getting ready for church and I heard the toilet flush. He'd dumped his excretions and was headed back to the living room. Yippee!

Now, the part I knew would be absolute hardest would be the #2 in the potty. For those of you that know Tucker, you know he's had trouble with his digestive system since he was a few weeks old. Poor kid would go poop every 10 ten days when he was that little. He was on non-diluted prune juice since he was an infant. Finally after Aubrey was born, the doctors decided it really was a problem (duh!) and prescribed him a daily laxative to help him go more regularly. When someone cries and screams everytime they have to poop, obviously it's a problem! Well, last evening, Tucker sat on his potty, and Cody just expected him to pee, when he grunted and cried loudly and then he stood up and said he pooped a big snake. What?! Are you serious? You pooped on your own? Sweet! He can poop as many "big snakes" as he wants. We are proud parents. : ) (Oh, and I'm sure you all understand why there aren't pictures in this post. I'm know you really didn't want to see the "big snake" or Tucker's naked bum!)

I'm hoping today will be our last "naked" day and then we can try wearing underwear again and eventually pants. Thank goodness those first couple of days are over and hopefully we'll continue on a mostly uphill slant. Thanks again for everyone that's left us advice on the blog or we've talked to on the phone. It's nice to know those with kids have to go through this phase of life and that 99% of us struggle with it. : )

12 comments:

Christine said...

Yea, Tucker you "pooped a big snake"!!

When I first started dating Todd, he was horrified because his mom pulled out old pictures, and we came across a picture of a rather large "snake"...I think they took the pic just because they were impressed, not even potty training... gross, right. Poor Todd was so embarrassed. So, good judgement on your part leaving out the pics :-) They would probably only embarrass him later.

I hope it keeps going well. I'm in the "go cold turkey" camp...pull-ups only at night and just take a change of clothes everywhere you go. Good Luck!!

Karen, Mackay, Easton & Kallie said...

congratulations! =) glad u found what worked for you!

Susan said...

Lol! The big snake comment made me giggle. Awesome work!

Carson Calderwood said...

Awesome!

Holly said...

Whatever works, right? How are you feeling btw? When do you find out the gender of that baby?

Holl

Elizabeth Checchio said...

Hooray for big snakes!!!! Good for him, and good for you for finding what works for you guys. I will be asking lots of questions in the next few years I am sure. :)

Jessica D. said...

Good job Tucker! I am dreading the potty training too, ugh, it sounds awful. I am tempted to just wait until after this baby comes, when Connor is close to 3. I hope Tucker keeps it up!

Mily said...

Way to go Tucker! This post made me laugh out loud!

Alysha said...

Way to go Tucker!
I am seriously dreading the day I have to potty train the twins, but I will definitely take advice from you since it looks like it has worked so well. Way to go Lisa!

lucy said...

"big snake" That's funny. L's always coming up with funny things to describe his dumps.

Susan said...

Have you found out the gender of your baby? Is it a boy? - Is that why you're countdown is blue?

Karen, Mackay, Easton & Kallie said...

you should update your blog so that every time i check to see if you have updated it i don't have to invision the "big snake"! ewww! =)