Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Such A Geek

Ok, I know many of you think that I am the coolest guy in the world, and I understand that in Bryce's eyes I can do no wrong. What, with my styling buzzed hair do, my glowing white skin, and my bulging muscles. As much as I hate to shatter the super suave image that everyone has of me, there is a dorkier, geeky side to me.
I have had a TON of spare time the past several months. I finished up all my requirements essentially last December for graduation and by early January had finished all my board exams. In January I found that the multiple hours a week I had previously dedicated to studying, now needed to be filled with a new hobby. With that extra time I had on my hands, I decided that I would give in to the temptations of my friend Jeremy and dive into the World Of Warcraft. I have always wanted to play it since it came out, but I didn't want to sacrifice my study time while in college or dental school by doing so. Now that I didn't have to worry about failing any courses or exams I immersed myself into WoW as it is called. And it is a whole lot of fun, if you are the gaming type.
I chose to play a human paladin. Mostly because horde is ugly and evil, and the players who choose that faction are generally 30 something dorks who live in their parents basement and wear an XXL t-shirt that they shoplifted from the store.
In the last 6 months that I have been playing I have been able to level up my paladin to the max (level 70) and get him some sweet, epic gear for both healing and damage. Meaning that I can go into a big group and be either a healer or killer.
Those days of no responsibilities outside my wife and children are now gone though, as I have begun work full time. I can no longer play mid-day when the kids are napping, so I am forced to scale back on my playing. But, the purpose of this post was to come out of the closet, so to speak. That's right, I am a gaming geek, and I admit it.

22 comments:

AJ said...

Did you expect the first post to be from anybody else but me? As a former WoW addict (WoW free for over 3 years now ;) ) I must say that you chose the gayest, pansiest, most hated class in the entire game! Man I hated paladins back in the day with their plate armor and weak sauce blessings. "Oh, look at me, I'll stick my head out, get worked, throw down the bubble shield and run away." Can't tank as well as a warrior, can't heal as well as a priest. As a former Horde member, shame on you for picking the Gay-lliance. By the way, I'm 27, wearing a medium collared shirt that I paid for and live with my wife and kids thank you very much. My Troll warrior is spinning in his grave.*** /raspberry

***Since it is hard to convey jest on the internets, this whole post is meant in good fun.

Anonymous said...

Very good input AJ, although you are completely wrong about the paladins. Blizzard saw what useless, wastes of bandwith Paladins used to be, so in patch 2.3 and 2.4 they spiffied them up big time, gave them much more melee dps capabilities and gave them much better spells. Paly tanks are now considered to be the best tanks in game for their ability to hold agro on large numbers of mobs. And as for heals, oh baby, holy palys are the best single healers in game to keep a tank alive. Maybe you should give in to temptation and come back to the fold. You would love it and be surprised! Oh yeah, warriors got left out in the patch upgrades and are way underpowered now. But with the new expansion coming out later this year, rumor has it that warrior will be able to dual wield two handed weapons. NASTY! That will be a whole of beat down for any one going against a warrior.

Deon said...

I think they have meetings for this.... bwa ahahaha

TF said...

I can't believe I lived with you in college and you are just now coming out of the closet. Er... the geek closet that is. Spencer would be flaming if he knew.

AJ said...

Point taken Cody, but I stand by my comments. ;) As for coming back, I love me my games, but MMO's are a whole other level of commitment that I can't and don't want to give at this stage in life.

2 days till The Dark Knight by the way.

Anonymous said...

Just let it be known that Cody CHOSE to enter into the realm of warcraft of his OWN FREE WILL...he was not inapropriately, nor subversively, led into the snare by yours truly (i.e. DON'T BLAME ME THAT HE TOOK IT TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL OF PLAYING, LISA!!)

Second...I hate the HORDE.

Third...Shammys are truly where it is at...but I'll take a Pally of Latin American origin throwing down the heals for me anytime.

Finally... WORD ON DARK KNIGHT!!

Jeremy

The Huff Family said...

OH...and I am the LAWGIVER! FOUR WHEELS OF FURY BABY!!

Jeremy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mcMwQ8Q-jQ

Maquel said...

I only wish Clark could be more likey ou and admit that he is a gaming geek too. But as he always says, "The world won't rid itself of evil on its own."

Anonymous said...

Huff touched on my question but have you upgraded to the Toyota Tacoma yet? Funny description of the 30 year old in their parents basement.
Bryce

Unknown said...

cody, i always knew you were a geek. i'm so happy for you that you can now admit it to the entire world. i hope the weight has been lifted off your shoulders and you can enjoy your newfound freedom!

Carissa, Brandon, Carly, & Tyler said...

DORK- need I say more!

Extreme Outdoor Supply said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. Dizzle said...

Cody, you are soooo dorky.
That being said, I often wonder why gamers get such a bad rap of dorkiness, and other hobbies get a free pass. Just to list a few, scrap booking, blogging, jewelry making, book club, even some sports are very dorky.
I don't really see how WoW is any more or less dorky than those. Well, maybe just a little.

Robison said...

My cousin is officially the biggest loser in the family. It's like you're back in high school again! All the dorky boys were obsessed with this game. Oh gesh....you're reverting back to your teenage years.

Anonymous said...

Leroy Jeeeenkins!!!!

Preston said...

MOM!!!! BATHROOM!!! ..... need I say more? If you don't know what I am referring to let me know.

Anonymous said...

Dude - Huntards rock the dps house! Droods for a close second on coolness.

What server? And if you dare...whats the toon name? You can always tell the dorkiness level by their alter-ego name.

Yep, I bought the game when it came out, played for 2 months, didn't have the time...quit for a year, picked it up for another 6 months, quit again, up again, off again, started again about 9 months ago. For sure, it's fun but addicting.

BTW - Posted by someone who wishes to remain a 'closet player' :P

Anonymous said...

My toon name is Quetzelcoatl and I'm on the server Archimonde. You can look me up on WoW armory.

Pablo said...

With all my love Cody... worse post ever!!

Kevin said...

I must echo Carson's comment... "Such a Dork! lol"

Anonymous said...

Cody, All the time you hid in the closet when you were little I thought it was so you could scare me. Now the truth has come out, you are a computer game nerd. Way to go. I didn't think you like to play games since game boy was so out dated. Keep it up, it will keep you young.
Love
Mom

Pablo said...

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/warcraft_sequel_lets_gamers_play check it out just for you.