Wednesday, March 26, 2008

More Visitors

We've had a whirlwind of a week. My sister left last Tuesday and we had more visitors come Thursday morning. My mom, brother, aunt and cousin flew out to visit for their spring break. They took the horrible red eye flight into town and we met them at the airport and drove immediately to D.C. We had a tour of the capitol building that afternoon. Cody and I had never gotten around to doing that, and it was pretty neat. The below picture is of the domed ceiling in the rotunda. The blossoms have started to bloom! I'm so excited because I'm running my race on Saturday. It's the start of the Cherry Blossom Festival and it's supposed to be one of the peak days!

On Saturday we drove to Annapolis and visited the Naval Academy and then went to Baltimore's Inner Harbor. This is my brother, Spencer, with Tucker on the deck of the visitor's center.

We dyed Easter Eggs Saturday night. It was a first not only for my kids, but my cousin, Haley as well.

After church on Sunday we had a big Easter feast and then I drove with my relatives back down towards D.C. Cody stayed home and let the kids get some much needed naps. My carload of people went to the D.C. Temple and then toured the National Mall. Oh and I just have to say that the GPS system I got Cody for Christmas is AWESOME! Unfortunately our car cigarette lighter doesn't work (should've thought of that when I bought the GPS) so we haven't really been able to get much use out of it yet. But, my mom's rental car worked and it took us the fastest, easiest way into D.C. I wish I would have known these routes 4 years ago. It would have saved a lot of wasted time!
Monday we headed back to D.C. for one final day of Smithsonian touring. We went through the Air and Space Museum and then they stood in line for the National Archives and also saw the Natural History Museum. I opted to refill our meters with coins and bypass the Archives and Natural History Museums. I let the kids play around in the car for awhile and then explore the grassy/dirt areas of the mall. I'm sure they had much more fun exploring the outdoors than sitting in their stroller staring at artifacts.
We ended the afternoon by going to Arlington Cemetery and over to the Marine Corps Memorial (Iwo Jima). I'd never been to the Memorial and thought it was amazing. I had no idea how HUGE it was! I don't have pictures yet, they were all taken on other cameras, but might post a couple when I get them.
Yesterday we headed to Fort McHenry in the morning and then they were off for their flight home. We had a wonderful time with all our many visitors and Tucker is still praying for each of them at meals and bedtime. Now we can get back into a normal schedule for a few weeks before Cody and I are off to hopefully buy a house!

8 comments:

Kristen said...

That is funny:) It looks like you all had a great time as well. Too bad we didn't bump into each other as our paths crossed several time. Good Luck in your race. That should be a great run.

Karen, Mackay, Easton & Kallie said...

Hey! Fun pics. Can't believe you are almost moving!! That is crazy. I totally regret now not coming out one more time to see you. I decided that i will somehow visit you in spokane. Mackay wants to go to the byu game up in seattle next year since his brother will be playing, so maybe i'll come and ditch the game (since BYU RULES!!) and make a side trip and visit you for a few days...sounds good to me anyway. Let's make it work -k-! Call me! talk to you soon!

Carson Calderwood said...

Holy crap! Who's been giving steroids to Spencer? He looks like and A&F model in the group picture. As I see all the cherry trees blooming here it reminds me of the festival there. We went every year and loved it.

Cody, are carving a wax tooth with that knife?

Amber said...

Looks like you guys had a fun and busy week. I bet that the tour of the Capitol was neat. That is the one thing I still want to do in DC before we leave.

Amber said...

Looks like you guys had a fun and busy week. I bet that the tour of the Capitol was neat. That is the one thing I still want to do in DC before we leave.

Leah and Mike said...

Sound like you had a blast with all your visitors! Yay! That GPS would have helped when we went to DC, huh?! :) I'm glad you guys had a fun time...soon you won't get to do all those touristy spots anymore :( Crazy!

Leah and Mike said...

Oh and I'm glad you decided to hang out outside when they went through the archives. Remember how much the kids liked it when we went through? :)

Becky said...

Wow! Is there anything you DIDN'T do? I don't think my kids would hold up -nor could I! We were in D.C. just yesterday and it WAS gorgeous! Fun pictures. I love to see people's families.