Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Introducing...Blake Cody Calderwood

Blake Cody Calderwood
Born: July 11th, 2010
Time: 4:21 AM
Weight: 7lbs. 6oz.
Length: 21inches
Here's the story! Blake decided he was coming into this world 1 day earlier than was planned. I went to bed about midnight Saturday and woke up at 2:20 to do one of my nightly runs to the bathroom. I noticed that it was a bit bloody and thought to myself, "I should go google that." I figured it was the mucus plug or something. I don't remember ever seeing that with my other kids. Well, instead of googling immediately, I thought it would be better for me if I just got some sleep. I climbed back in bed and lay there for 30 minutes thinking there was something going on with my body. I haven't felt contractions since I was pregnant with Tucker, and wasn't convinced that I was having them. But about every 5-7 minutes I was feeling something. I headed downstairs to turn the computer on at 3:00 and googled mucus plug, checked my email/facebook etc. I was finally convinced I was having contractions when they started hurting my back. I had intense back labor with Tucker and knew that I must be at the beginning of labor. My contractions were really close together so I woke Cody up at 3:30 and told him we needed to head to the hospital.

Now luckily, my sister and her family had driven down from Logan the day before to show off their baby to family members that were passing through after our annual family reunion. I woke them up and told them we were headed and to take care of the kiddos. My contractions were really starting to hurt now. Cody had to move their car off the driveway so we could get out and I took all our carseats out of the car. Cody drove as fast as he could and was safe to get to Park City. (I guess one bad thing about living where we do is you have to watch out for wildlife at all times of the day. The last thing we wanted to do was hit a deer or moose on our way.) At this point I'm pretty much in extreme pain with each contraction. I'm clinging to the handle above my door and moaning/complaining in pain. Poor Cody, there really is nothing he can do, but drive fast. My contractions are now every 3-4 minutes apart. 
He drops me off at the ER entrance and I walk inside stating that I'm having a baby now and to get my doctor stat. They put me in a wheelchair and take me upstairs to labor and delivery. As I'm being put in the elevator I'm crying that I want to push. The nurse is telling me "No! You do not want a baby in the elevator!" Right - I don't want that. As we approach the nurses in L&D the first thing I say is that I need an epidural NOW! They wheel me to room 1 (small hospital - only 4 beds) and I'm still dying with pain. Between contractions they help me into a gown and I climb in bed. Thankfully they know where the good pressure points are on my back and that helps a little - but only a little. Cody gets there and the nurse checks me while I'm still telling everyone to get me pain meds and my doctor. She looks at me and tells me "Sorry sweetie, you're complete, you aren't getting anything for the pain." I'm a 10, have a bulging sac, the baby is crowned and she tells me that I'll be having a baby in 15 minutes. Not good, not good. I want an epidural - ANYTHING to take some pain away. I'm rolled over on the bed squeezing Cody's hand as hard as I can yelling/moaning that I can't do it. I even thought about biting Cody's hand several times just to clench on something, but thank goodness all my sense hadn't left me. How would that look, my dentist husband with severe bite marks in his arm from his wife. I am not a vampire.

After being in the bed for a minute or two I have a contraction and my water breaks all over - I'm still yelling that I can't do it. I want to push with every contraction and my doctor is not there. The nurse is lying on the bed next to me trying to keep the monitor on to check babies heartrate. The other nurse keeps telling me that Dr. Falk is on her way, she'll be there any minute, she's probably coming up the stairs now. Now I know that my doctor is pregnant herself and has preclampsia and placenta previa and I know she's not running up any stairs to get to me. She may be on her way, but not the way the nurse is trying to tell me. The nurses do keep telling me that I'm doing great (yeah right) and that everything I'm yelling is normal. Well, at least I'm normal.

Finally, with another contraction I just push the baby out. It is so amazing how after you feel the body squiggle out, that the pain and pressure leaves. Hallelujah! But, I'm so exhausted from the pain that even when they place the baby on my stomach I just have to look at the ceiling. Granted, I am lying flat on my back, not in the sitting up, legs in stirrups position. There was just no time to prepare the bed they way it should have been. My fantastic nurse Holly was able to deliver Blake for me. To demonstrate even more how fast it went - the nurse checked me in at 4:02 and Blake was born at 4:21.

My doctor arrived 2-3 minutes after I pushed him out. She is great and finished the rest of the job getting the placenta out and stitching me up (1 stitch). I am now able to relax and enjoy my new baby and start to laugh at the situation we were just in. I just seriously did now think I could progress that fast from 2 hours before using the bathroom, noticing blood, having contractions and delivering a baby. Crazy stuff! If Cody and I have another baby - my doctor has promised me that we will convince the hospital that I'll need to be induced even earlier. I can't imagine what would have happened had I gone into labor with Cody at work or gone somewhere. There is no way I would have been able to drive myself to the hospital with the pain I was in. And for all you Mom's that have gone natural before; 1 - you must have taken some kind of class to focus your pain (which I will take next time just in case) and 2 - you must not have had back labor like me.
Now for the pictures!
After we had the chance to hold him for awhile, attempt to feed and ate our breakfast, we each did some of this. Cody told me that if the hospitals in Baltimore would have had chair/beds like this, he just might have spent the night. Apparently they were super comfy. Oh and Blake has blond hair. None of our other kids were blondies at birth - even though Tucker is now a blond. We'll see if it grows in that way or changes color.
Heather and Dan brought the kids over later in the morning. Tucker and Aubrey were sooo excited to see their new baby brother. Cole just wanted me to hold him and didn't really care about the baby. I'm sure that will change next week when he comes home. We have fantastic parents who are taking Tucker, Aubrey and Cole for the week.
Unfortunately with Aubrey, after they had been there for 30 minutes or so she was lying on my pillow telling me she was cold and started to look a bit lethargic. She was burning up and we had to send them all home. I'm not sure what she was sick with, but she threw up a couple times, slept a lot and then was fine the next day.

Blake meets his cousin Ethan. 3 weeks apart.
I love this picture of Tucker. He is so cute and was carefully holding Blake while my nurse, Sarah took his vitals. I have to tell you all that Park City Medical Center is the BEST hospital I have ever been to. Every single one of the staff members was incredible and awesome. Because it's a small hospital you actually feel like they want to help you and you aren't just a number. When I pushed my nurse call button it wasn't just a voice over a speaker asking what I wanted. They would come in person and help me. And they were all fun to talk to and hangout with. I highly recommend the hospital to anyone that can go there.
Another awesome thing about the hospital is their food. It's incredible! Gourmet food for every meal. We tried some great dishes, with my favorite being my last meal there Monday night. It was a Thai chicken stir fry. Cody and I were also given a complimentary dinner of our choosing with choices like Flank Steak, Salmon, Tortellini, etc. I think we'll have some date nights to the cafeteria in the future. The prices are actually really reasonable and like I said, the food is awesome!
We opted to come home Monday night because Cody had to work on Tuesday. I'm feeling great - Blake is finally eating well and doing great and we're happy to be home. : )

30 comments:

Nate and Lori said...

WOW! Thats an amazing birth story. Little Blake is so cute and perfect looking. He obviously wasn't in the birth canal for long at all. Good job on doing it natural. I'm pretty sure that being forced like that would be the only way it could happen to me.

Nordgren Mommy said...

Congratulations again. What a crazy story. I am one for going natural and I also have really bad back labor. Although when I had Kaitlyn I had a bad experience with the epidural, but I will say with my others when I am down to the pushing I am ready to be done and want the pain meds I just keep telling my self it is almost over. I really think it helps to prepare beforehand mentally that there is going to be pain. Anyway I am rambling. You have a very handsome little boy and you look amazing for just giving birth!

Susan said...

wo!! That baby must have decided to come and then didn't waste time! :) What a sweet looking little boy. I'm glad your family is watching your kids while you adjust to your cute new little addition. Way to go Lisa!! OH, and how nice of Blake to be born on my birthday! :) hehe

Carissa, Brandon, Carly, & Tyler said...

Congrats! Blake is adorable. What a great story! I especially like the vampire part. :)

Bethany said...

Wow, what a beautiful baby! Your family is so cute Lisa. Congratulations!!!

Laurel said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! He is adorable and you look great!

Clark and Liesel said...

Congrats! You are so amazing Lisa! He is so cute !!

Lucy said...

Thanks for sharing! That was such a fast delivery....funny and interesting at the same time. We're excited for you guys and wishing you a quick and happy recovery.

Kristen said...

Congratulations! Blake was born exactly 6 weeks after Claire. I hope you are feeling well.

Tiffany said...

You are amazing! I had bad back labor with Easton, and was at a 9 when I got to the hospital (1 hr after starting contractions). Luckily they were able to get me a spinal block (no time for an epidural), and he was born 1 1/2 hours after arriving. I was surprised how fast it went as well. I can't imagine having to do it all the way. I feel your pain though, and think your way amazing for doing it with no anesthesia. Hats off to you! And Blake is adorable. What a cute family!

Katie said...

that is packed with action and drama - just like the movies. that is kinda my secret wish, to go that fast and not have the option for an epidural because even though i want to go naturally - if given the choice - there is no way i could do it. so fancy food huh? that is pretty impressive. the calderwood family is growing by leaps and bounds. it seems like not too long ago it was just you and cody as newlyweds starting dental school. congrats you guys!

Erin Marie said...

He is so beautiful! I am glad you made it to the hospital. Have a wonderful time with your little boy! Miss you guys!!

Erin Marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ang said...

what's up with these babies wanting to come one day early???

sorry you had to go through the pain - but congrats on doing it! you are tough!!

also, little blake is beautiful. i love blond babies!!!

Burnhams said...

Lisa- he is so cute, and of course, you look fabulous. What a crazy story!

Lis said...

The only thing that would have made the story better was if Blake had ACTUALLY come in the elevator! :) Happy for you that he didn't! Congrats you guys! He's a cutie!

Carson Calderwood said...

"I am not a vampire." This will become an instant classic! Sweet.

Amber said...

Congrats! He is a beautiful baby. We are excited to come for a visit and meet the little guy when things calm down a little for you guys. Glad you at least made it to the hospital. You are a trooper Lisa.

Lettie B. said...

Congrats again and hooray for making it to the hospital bed, even if it was too late for an epidural. You look great and I am super impressed that you are so caught up on your blog!

Russell said...

Congrats you guys!!! That is an awsome story. If Only Cody would have delivered him on the way then it would have been cooler..... but you're probably glad it didn't work out that way.

The Huff Family said...

Oh my goodness Lisa! What a story! I am glad that everything worked out and that you and baby are well. Blake is adorable, as are the pictures of Tucker and Aubrey holding him. Congrats!!!

Nate and Jen Poulson said...

WOW! Poor thing. But you made it, and he is beautiful. Obviously we are PRO epidural/Spinals in this house.
Love from PA

Katie said...

congrats! He is adorable! and good job on the whole natural thing... i know you would have rather had it go differently... but what a story you will have now!!

Marisa said...

Lisa we're so excited for you and your family! What a little cutie! I can't believe you wound up having him natural, it's almost funny but I'm sure it was anything but funny at the time!! It occurred to me somewhere in the middle of a crazy contraction that I should have taken a class but fortunately my nurse talked me through it and I don't think a class would have been much better. I do think it made a big difference for me, mentally, that I planned to do it naturally. I had back labor for part of it and that is insane, huh? I would have pushed him out just like you did, when you're at that point they can't tell you to NOT PUSH!?! I'm so glad he came out quickly for you so that it could be over and he's healthy and safe! Have fun with your tiny newborn and I wish we could see him!

Emily said...

Oh. My. Goodness!!!


He is just as adorable as your others. Congrats on a healthy little boy - and apparently for making it to the hospital.

And seriously, what's with the awesome hospital food? I didn't know that those words could coexist.

Congrats again!!

Jessica D. said...

You guys have such a beautiful family! I love the photo of all of you. Congratulations and great job Lisa, you are super tough! Blake is adorable

The Skinners said...

Wow! i cant wait to come see you guys!

Nanci said...

He is really cute. Your whole family is adorable.

Karina & John Calderwood said...

Congrats! He is precious. I can't believe you went that FAST!! I am SO sorry that you had to go through all that pain, but you look AMAZING and your family is so cute.

Pulver Palooza said...

Wow, that sounded like my story with the second kid. Glad you made it on time to at least the hospital. Congrats!! he is adorable!