Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Moab Picture Overload

Our friends invited us to go to Moab along with them last weekend. We left by 9 Friday morning in the middle of a snowstorm and arrived in Moab to temps in the 50s. Tucker is a bit obsessed with dinosaurs these days so Cody planned a little side trip to see some real dinosaur tracks. They were at Copper Ridge, just about 30 minutes north of Moab. This is an Allosaurus footprint. We filled in the footprint with water so that it would show up clearer for a picture. 
 I think my Dino man was a little disappointed that there weren't any bones or real dinosaurs around. He wouldn't let me take his picture. He is standing next to a Brontosaurus footprint. They looked like potholes on the rocks.
 See all the potholes. It is so amazing to me that these still exist and that there are so many in Utah. How many more haven't been uncovered? I mean, this place isn't on the beaten path. Kind of cool to think about.
 We camped in the Sand Flats Recreation Area. We actually got the same sites we were at last fall when we went with Cody's family last September. We saved the upper spot for the Jorgenson's and set up camp on the lower. Cole LOVES the outdoors, found a stick and pushed it all around in the dirt like it was a car. I had to laugh when the car didn't stop him from turning a different direction.
 Oh and can I tell you have much I LOVE sand in diapers.
 We made dinner for the group Friday night. We busted out the dutch ovens and did chicken and potatoes. It was delicious like always. Cody is a fantastic cook!
 It definitely got cold at night and the wind was blowing so we put up the walls to our shade tarp to help block the elements.
 Our campsite and me posing by Cody's new toy!
 Saturday morning we headed into Arches National Park. I drove all through it last fall but didn't get to do any hikes because all the kids were sleeping. We hit up Balanced Rock, the North and South Windows, Delicate Arch upper overlook, and Sandbox Arch.

 North Window.
 Blake's first time in the backpack. He was a trooper. He was actually sick the whole trip with some wheezy, coughing cold. We're awesome parents taking him camping anyway. : )
 Kate and Aubrey at the Delicate Arch overlook. We weren't sure if the kids would all be able to handle the hike so we opted for the 1 mile hike. You might be able to see if you zoom in on the picture that Delicate Arch is dotted with people. The whole trail looked like it was covered in ants from far away.

 The kids favorite part of the trip was Sandstone Arch, although they could care less about the arch itself, they loved playing in the sand.

Tucker showed everyone how to make sand angels.
 Cole got in on the rolling down the hill fun.

 Jumping off rocks into nice soft sand.
 Every time we drove past Baby Lions Back Cody would tell me he was going to do it with the truck. I of course insisted that he would not be doing it with me or the kids in the car. Well, he won out. We went up and I jumped out to take pics as he came back down. Cody said he was a little scary coming back over the edge because you couldn't see what was below you.
 It was much steeper than it looks!
 Ahh! I sure hope the brakes don't fail!
 Aubrey and Cole were asleep when we went up. Aubrey woke up on the way up and told Cody that she did not want to do this anymore. This was Cole's look of terror on the way down. He was clutching his car seat like his life depended on it.
 
When we got back to camp Laura watched our kids so that Cody and I could ride the Slickrock Bike Trail. (We traded and watched their kids the night before so that they could ride as well.) My first time was last fall and I actually improved this time around. It felt good to ride up an entire hill that some guys ahead of us were walking their bikes up.
 
We had a great time, but decided to come home after dinner Saturday night. The nights were just very cold and because Blake wasn't feeling well we didn't think it would be good for him to be sleeping in the cold. Plus, sleeping with a baby in your sleeping bag sure doesn't give you a nice night's sleep. We got home around 10:15 driving through a white out in Provo Canyon. We're sure glad it didn't snow down south! Here's our little Blake during dinner. I LOVE the batman hat! I found it at Walmart in Maryland back when I had Tucker. It fits perfectly and keeps our little man warm.
Tucker first sporting the look (although apparently we were missing a glove on this trip - thus the sock hand.)

3 comments:

Laurel said...

those pics of the truck could be a chevy ad! nice job lisa! (and nice job driving cody!)

Russell said...

Blakes hat is AWESOME!!!! I want one. I think I could pull it off (but not as good as Blake does)

Marisa said...

That looks so fun, I definitely miss living close to the red rock country!