Sunday, September 19, 2010


We got back late last night (about 11:00 pm) from an awesome weekend in Moab.  For Lisa, this was the first time in 11 years that she had done any activities in the Moab area.  She was looking forward to experiencing Moab Cody-style.  I was super excited to go back for the first time in 6 years, hit the trails again and show Lisa a little of what Moab has to offer.
We headed out from Midway Thursday afternoon once the kids were done with school and made it down there in time for dinner.  We found a sweet camp site in the Sand Flats recreation area, although it was a little difficult getting to it.

 It was one of the only sites around that offered afternoon shade.  The shade was so nice because the temperatures got up to 98.

My parents arrived late Thursday evening and came with my cousin Jaron.  Unfortunately my dad's trailer got a flat tire driving back to the camp site. 
The next morning we got up and celebrated Tucker's 5th birthday.  He was so happy all day that it was his birthday.  Although we didn't have a cake for him, we did give him presents and sing him happy birthday in Moab.  What an awesome birthday!  After our breakfast and after fixing the flat tire, we headed out to Wall Street to do some rock climbing.  Even though Moab was completely full of people this weekend because of the century road bike race, nobody was rock climbing or mountain biking, which made it very nice for us.  We never had to battle with crowds while climbing, hiking, or mountain biking. 
Here is a picture of me lead roping my first climb in 5 years.  I felt about 5 years rusty too, but it was wonderful getting back out there.  I probably should have started with something a little easier than a 5.10, but my pride had me convinced that I could fly up it just as easily as when I was climbing regularly in college.  It took me a little longer than it used to, but I did the climb without any falls or problems, and then belayed the others.

You'll notice from these photos how unbelievably beautiful the area is for climbing.  It's so great being back close to the red rock country again and to be able to enjoy it.
I bought a kids harness, and Tucker and Aubrey were so excited to go "mountain climbing" as they keep calling it.  Despite my best attempts, they won't call it rock climbing.  Tucker wasn't as big of a fan of it right now, but he told me that he does want to try it again.
Here is a cool shot of Lisa holding Blake.  He was such a great trooper the whole weekend.

After Tucker went, Aubrey couldn't wait for it to be her turn.  She was so excited, and I think we have a future rock climber in her.

"Belay on!"

After the kids went, Jaron put his spider skills to use and enjoyed the climb.

Jaron having a little fun at the end of his decent.

Yes everyone, this is a picture of the girl who just had baby #4 two months ago.  She was a bit rusty at first, but it came right back to her once she started climbing up.  You'll notice in this photo that the road is right next to where we were climbing.  That is one of the weird aspects of climbing on Wall Street, you are right next to all the cars, trucks and bikes that go by on that road.  A little different from most climbing routes.

Lisa couldn't let Jaron out do her at the end of her climb, so she had to add more flare to her decent.

Jaron really wanted to lead climb for his first time ever, so after a quick crash course on what to do, I sent him up the slab next to us.  He looked like a veteran.

After Jaron set the ropes, my dad climbed the route.  I love the view of the wall behind him.  It gives some perspective as to how massive those cliff faces are.
Does everybody have to show off for the camera while I am belaying them?

After my dad finished his climb, Lisa decided she also wanted to lead climb for the first time in her life.  I taught Lisa all the do's  and dont's to lead climbing and sent her on her way.  She did amazing, as usual.

While we were climbing, Tucker decided he wanted another try, but couldn't wait for the harness and rope.  So he went free climbing.  We quickly brought him back down to safe ground once we saw him.

While we were climbing, people (mostly my parents) would trade off watching Blake and Cole.  Here are my parents enjoying the view from the other side of the road.

Cole mostly did a lot of this while we were climbing.  He played in the sand and had a blast.  Doesn't that smile just explain it all?

At about 11:30 the rock face became way too hot to keep rock climbing, so we headed back  to camp for lunch.
You'll have to excuse me for the next several photos from biking and then hiking the next day.  I didn't realize that one of our kids had smeared a fingerprint on the lens of the pocket camera, so most of the photos turned out fuzzy.  But, I still wanted to document our adventures, so I'll have to deal with the poor quality anyway.
That afternoon Lisa, Jaron and I headed over to the Slick Rock Trail.  It was to be Lisa's first time ever on the trail, the first time in 15 years for Jaron, and the first time in 8 years for me.

Yes, that trail is steep!  Can you see the determination in her face?  She did awesome for her first time on the trail and wants to go back and try it again.  What an amazing wife I have.

Blake hung out at times in his bouncy seat and was content just being there.  Friday night we made tin foil dinners, and they were scrum-diddly-umcious.  Maybe they tasted better because of the full day of activities and how tired I was, either way, they hit the spot.

Yes, I am sporting my Swiss Days hat with pride!

Tucker looking for desert animals while dinner was being prepared.

Saturday morning we headed out with Kristin, Chris and Jaron to hike Corona Arch.  It is an easy hike located off Potash Road.  While we were hiking, my mom and dad took their 4-wheeler on some trails.  Here is a shot of our motley crew embarking on our 1.5 mile journey.

Aubrey and her Aunt Kristin with the arch in the background.

A shot of Corona Arch.

There were some cables and ladders set up to help people make the hike up to the arch.  Here are some pictures of our crew on the way back down.

Darn smudged camera!  Too bad these didn't turn out better.

After our morning hike to Corona Arch, we went to Zak's pizza to watch the BYU-Florida State football game.  I enjoyed the game for it what it presented.  I knew we still had a very young and inexperienced team, and I think they did well accordingly.  It's just too bad our waitress was such an ornery beast or it would have been even more fun.

While I was watching the BYU game in town, Lisa decided she wanted the kids to nap, so she drove into Arches National Park and let all the kids zonk out in their car seats to get some much needed rest.  She couldn't leave the car, so she snapped some photos from her driver side window.

After lunch, we headed back to camp and let the kids finish their naps.  After their naps they were in heaven playing in the dirt and running around.  While they did that, I began to pack up so we could head out that night, and Kristin took her jeep on the Fins and Things trail with Chris and my mom.  I wish I could have gone with them.

Once I had all of our things packed up, we made one final delicious dinner (thanks mom and dad) to end a wonderful weekend.

As we left Moab Saturday evening, we were treated with this awesome parting sight.  The sunset provided some fantastic colors for us.  We had such a fantastic time with family and look forward to going back soon.  Well, until next year Moab, hasta luego!


Laurel said...

What a fantastic weekend! And Lisa, you do look fantastic for just having baby #4!!

Dan & Heather Pelfrey said...

Jealous! Dan and I want to go on vacation with you guys! I'm glad it was good weather for you down there. It looks like it was a lot of fun!