Friday, May 30, 2008

1700 mile journey

We loaded our belongings into our Penske truck last Tuesday (20th). Of course, the only hour it rained that day just happened to be the hour that we had people come over to help us out. Thankfully we had most everything in boxes, so it took less than an hour to get everything loaded. (Thanks to the missionaries and dental students that helped!) Cody and I spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning and moving everything out. Our friends the Shumways invited us over for dinner and then we went back and steam cleaned the rest of the place. We dropped off the cleaner at the Huffs and headed to the Lintons to spend the night. We really couldn't have better friends than the ones we did while in Maryland. We'll miss everyone!
Bright and early Wednesday morning we drove out towing our Subaru behind us. We drove to Louisville, KY our first day and met up with one of Cody's best friends from high school that just happened to graduate from dental school too. We ate at P.F. Changs, went bowling and had dessert. It was fun to be able to spend time with them.
On Thursday morning we left bright and early again ready for our LONG day of driving. We passed through St. Louis,
Independence, Missouri and stopped by the LDS visitors center to learn more about the history there. The picture below is of the Community of Christ temple that is across the street from the center.
While driving through Kansas, we drove straight through a tornado. Quite the scary experience while driving a 22 foot truck towing a car. We pulled off to the side of the road and waiting it out. I've never seen the wind blow so hard or seen so much rain and hail in a short period of time. I tried to take pictures, but my camera wasn't cooperating with me. This picture is after the storm.
This picture is of the storm now behind us.
We stayed in Colby, KS Thursday night and stayed in the same hotel as some tornado seekers. Their front windshield had been blown off and the lady had bruises and bumps all over her from being thrown around by the wind. Crazy profession if you ask me!
We only had about 3/1/2 hours to go Friday morning and arrived in Colorado Springs around noon. We signed our lease, received our keys and came home sweet home.


Katie said...

you DROVE through a TORNADO!!!??? that's wacky stuff.

StakerSensations said...

you are lucky lisa...that tornado killed two people when it reached oklahoma!!!