Monday, April 1, 2013

Ballet and Benedryl

Aubrey started a ballet class in December and last week were pictures. We had to figure out the ballet bun and makeup. She looked so pretty all dolled up. Her costume is called the Ice Queen, and she has a wand that she dances with. Her first little performance is in a couple months. 

I should receive the worst mother of the year award. Last Thursday I was eating some peanut M&M's and picked up the kids from school. All my kids are allergic to peanuts except Cole (although we treat him like he is allergic). Aubrey and Tucker understand their allergy and are pretty good at asking if there are peanuts in things. We have Epi pens all over our house and in our vehicles. Well, dumb me, my kids wanted some of my treats in the car. I gave Aubrey one M&M, thinking I'd just keep my eye on her and see what happens. I know Tucker's allergy is severe, but wasn't sure about hers. Blake wanted one too, so I shared with him as well. I've never fed him peanuts ever, but he did test positive for a peanut allergy. Well, 2 hours later, Blake starts coughing and wheezing and wouldn't eat his lunch. I could tell that something was wrong with him. I figured it was from the peanut, but was surprised that it took so long for symptoms to appear. Tucker's always appeared within 30 minutes. I quickly gave him Benadryl and prayed a lot that he would be all right. After a round of the nebulizer he was calm enough to take a nap. Before that, this is what he looked like. Poor kid was red all over and itching like crazy. I am horrible. I knowingly gave my child something that very well could have killed him. Thank goodness for medicine and prayers. I would have given him an Epi pen if his symptoms didn't get better, but I was so worried and felt so dumb about my mistake. Who wants to take their child to the hospital and explain that they know they have an allergy, but I gave them something with it anyway. Talk about a way to get DCFS involved.


Unfortunately for Blake, he had another reaction on Saturday. My kids went to an Easter Egg hunt and some of the eggs contained Snickers Bars. I thought I had gotten rid of all of them, but later that night Blake was reacting again. I gave him Benadryl, gave him a bath, nebulizer and was rocking him when he threw up all over me a few times. Not a pretty sight. Thankfully he was much better after that. I didn't see him ingest peanuts, but that had to have been it. I obviously need to keep a better eye and watch my children. After much prayer and thanksgiving to my Heavenly Father I am committed to not buying peanut things anymore. That doesn't mean I won't eat peanut M&M's if they are available to me, but I won't be purchasing them and eating them in front of my kids.

 Feeling miserable, but still manages a grin for the camera.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Aubrey looks so cute in her costume! We love ballet at our house. I cant believe she turns six this week.

Dan & Heather Pelfrey said...

Aubrey looks so cute! Brings back a lot of memories of us getting ready for recitals. Oh the hair and makeup... poor little Blakey, I'm glad he's doing alright. I suppose you know how severe his reactions are now. That might come in handy inthe future. Miss you guys!