Friday, January 29, 2010

Elk Hunting

I did some trade work last fall for some cow elk tags. A patient contacted me wanting a root canal and crown. He asked if I would be interested in doing trade work for a couple of cow elk tags on his property. His property is located up above Coalville, and is a few thousand acres large. My dad and I both got a cow tag, and we spent several weekends in November, December and January going up there on 4-wheelers and later snowmobiles once the snow got too deep. We had a wonderful time exploring his property and seeing some huge bucks (some 30 inchers) that were borderline trophy size. They were huge! And we saw so many. We also saw several large bull elk, and I found a recent bull moose shed too. It was a ton of fun being in the mountains each Saturday with my dad. Unfortunately, the conditions didn't work out for us to get some cow elk, but that didn't stop us from having a great time. It's funny, when you have a bull tag, all you see is cows. Now that we had a cow tag, all we saw were bulls. Oh well, that's just how it goes.
These pictures were taken last Saturday up at "shooter hill #1".








I wish I would have had my telephoto lens up there with me to take some pictures of the huge bucks we saw. The guy needs some more dental work and wants to do some more trade, so my dad and I might be back up there this fall!




2 comments:

Mily said...

That is a sweet trade even if all you saw (meat wise) were bulls. The views are gorgeous...what a fun day!

Amy said...

That snowsuit of your dad's looks like a few my parents have back home. Those things are old!!! Lookin' good! Glad you two were able to have a good time! It is always fun to spend time with parents!