Sunday, May 22, 2011

Conference Talks

While we have been on vacation in Mexico, I have been reading the conference edition of the Ensign.  My thoughts have been many as I have read, and I decided to start some discussion through email with Lisa and my brother Carson and Marisa.  Lisa recommended that I put those down on our blog for journal purposes.  So, this will likely bore many of you, and you have my permission to skip this and await our awesome Mexico trip post with all of it's photos.  For this one, feel free to comment if you like, I enjoy discussion.  Some people may be offended, but again, this is mostly for journal purposes so I want it to be how I actually feel, not watered down to avoid offending people.  Here you go!

I wanted to share some thoughts with you three that I've been having, maybe spark some conversation in the process.  As I read the ensign talks, it's funny how much my thoughts turn to the bloggernacle - those members of the church that so openly criticize the leaders and the church today.  While we have been in Mexico, I have been reading the ensign's conference issue. (It's been so nice to read it without interruption and to bask in the sunlight).  Well, I have read 4 articles, and two of them have made me reflect deeply on some of the stuff the bloggernacle negative naysayers have recently discussed.  The talk by Elder Walter F. Gonzalez called "Followers of Christ" brings up an excellent and solid point to combat some of the arguments that the negative Nelly's out there make.  Elder Gonzalez says "Followers of Christ pattern their lives after the Savior to walk in the light.  Two characteristics can help us recognize to what extent we follow Him.  First, followers of Christ are loving people.  Second, followers of Christ make and keep commandments."
That second part is what unfortunately gets ignored by many in today's society.  You often hear the argument, from many Christian "scholars" that all we need to do to be like Christ is to love others and serve the poor and down trodden.  While we all definitely can do better at serving others and exercising charity, we can't forget the covenants that the savior himself entered into.  When many of those in society today say that it doesn't matter what religion we belong to, they are denying the example and teachings of Christ and are focusing solely on one aspect of the Saviors teachings.  Why ignore that Christ himself was baptized?  Why ignore the sacremental covenant that he instituted with his apostles?  It saddens me to read when people write that all we really need to do is love as Jesus loved and serve others.  As Elder Gonzalez says, "Making covenants is an expression of love.  It is a way of saying to Him, "Yes, I will follow Thee because I love Thee.""
The next talk that I am reading also got me thinking about a recent bloggernacle post.  The talk is by Elder Kent F. Richards called "The Atonement Covers All Pain".  The recent post wrote about the fire at the Provo tabernacle.  It made fun of a news clipping that showed how a painting of the savior was burned around the edges but surprisingly His face was spared from the fire.  (Personally, I think it was just a coincidence as many other paintings of Christ burned up completely, but that's not my point).  The post then went on a tirade about how stupid we are to think that God would spare that painting while allowing so many children to burn up in house fires across the world.  Or like when the church rejoiced to hear that all the Missionaries in the Sendai Japan mission were accounted for and safe after the devastating earthquake and tsunami.  The blogger criticized the church leadership for their joy by saying, "Does God love the thousands of Japanese who died any less than those missionaries?"  My answer is a resounding "No!", but that doesn't mean he doesn't intervene and save his righteous followers at times.  These critics are missing a critical lesson of life and the gospel.
Elder Richards explains why the Lord allows suffering and pain in this life.  While on my mission, I had an epiphany about this very topic when an investigator asked me, "How can there be a God with so much suffering, death and carnage in the world."  At the time I couldn't come up with a good answer.  But a few days later I understood the explanation to that, and Elder Richards does a great job of explaining it.  Ok, I have to run right now, but I will talk more about this later.  Feel free to respond to everyone and chime in.

0 comments: