Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Conf. Talks (cont.)

Ok, one last one and then we can post pics of Mexico. While reading Elder Nelson's talk, he mentions that some people take the "cafeteria" approach to the commandments. I love that description by the way. He promises that such an approach will undoubtedly lead to unhappiness. Like Elder Nelson said, only when we are committed to obeying all of the commandments will we experience true joy and peace.
Elder Maynes said in his talk that the adversary wants to do everything in his power to destroy the family. We are seeing this so much more today than ever before. While Lisa and I were eating breakfast on Sunday we had CNN on and they showed a statistic that only 55% of marriages last to 15 years, only 35% last to 25 years and only 6% last to 50 years. I'm sure loss of spouse contributes tremendously to the 50 year percentage, but it was still startling to me that 2/3 of marriages fail by 25 years. With all of the problems that result from single parent homes and divorced parents, it's no wonder the adversary is working so hard and focusing so much effort on tearing the family apart. It serves as a good reminder for me that marriage requires continued effort in order to succeed. We can't take it for granted.
Elder Oaks mentioned towards the end of his talk a desire that should be paramount for all men and women - all should desire and seriously work to secure a marriage for eternity. Between his counsel and the smack down laid down by President Monson in the priesthood session, I am glad I am not still single. Also, again, it was another great reminder of the importance of my marriage and that it needs to be given the attention that it deserves.
Elder Anderson gave a great talk as well about our priorities and about how if we maintain correct priorities on eternal principles we can avoid being deceived or blinded by worldy pursuits. I saw this theme through a few of the talks. If our priorities are aligned properly, then our outlook will be better prepared to withstand the buffetings of Satan in this life.
I also noticed in the priesthood session that recurring sections in Doctrine and Covenants that the speakers referenced and invited the aaronic priesthood holders to learn, like section 121 for example. Maybe I paid more attention to that because I am scout master.
As usual, it was a great conference!

0 comments: