Saturday, July 4, 2009

4th of July Weekend

We started the 4th of July weekend by kicking it off with the traditional Foster family Oakley Rodeo roundup. We went up to the Foster cabin on Thursday and had a big bbq and dinner with the extended Foster family. Lisa's family was all there along with her grandma, grandpa, and Uncle Brian's whole family. The food was great and the company was better. After dinner we all headed down to the Oakley rodeo where we saw some good bronc riding, bull riding, roping, barrell racing, etc.




I think most people that attend the Oakley rodeo go more for the social scene than the actual rodeo, as proven by the ladies wearing their designer clothes, the dudes strutting their latest Abercrombie and Dillards purchases and the lack of hooting and hollaring from the crowd when someone has a good ride. It's a shame too because the Oakley rodeo is surprisingly a top notch rodeo despite being in such a small town. They attract some great talent and the bulls, broncs and other livestock perform really well. I guess some people just want to be seen as being all "cowboy" as if that makes them cool, but hey, to each his own.


Heather was sitting with Dan and his parents who came up from Texas for the weekend.


Some of the Foster clan.


April entertaining Cole, or is that Cole entertaining April?


On Friday, after seeing some emergency patients at the office, we went up to the Soap Stone Basin with my parents to do some camping. We had a great campsite with fantastic views.



Here is a view out the backside of our camp, pretty cool.


Lisa, Tucker and I took a little hike to a meadow above our camp and found a field packed full of wildflowers. It was amazing.


Tucker and Lisa decided to pick some for my mom and Aubrey to enjoy because they couldn't come with us on our little hike.


We decided to see if Tucker could take a photo with our Canon, and he did a great job. Now he wants to take all the pictures for us.


We pitched our tent behind my parents 5th wheel, and again, we loved the views we had!


For dinner we made some awesome dutch oven potatoes and bbq ribs. So yummy!



After dinner we got the fire going and roasted some marshmallows for smores. We pretty much ate like kings that night.


Here's Lisa completely enjoying her smore making.


A cool shot at sunset.


Today when we got up we went for a drive. We saw some deer, a few smaller bucks, and did some 4 wheeling.





Because of all the rain the past few weeks, the mud puddles were plentiful. Lisa and I both took turns gunning it through the mud to cover our Pathfinder with "chocolate" as the kids called it.


I think we would make Brad Paisley proud with our mud on the tires.


Tonight we are going to put our camp chairs out in our cirlce and watch the fire works they light off Memorial Hill. It should be a great climax to a fun weekend. I hope you all had a great Independence Day!

6 comments:

The Huff Family said...

I am really impressed with Tucker's photography skills! Sounds like you had a great weekend!

Russell said...

Looks like an awsome weekend! Love the camp site, there is some beautiful country up there.

Carson Calderwood said...

Nice mountain views!

April Nielsen said...

What a fun weekend you guys had! I'm so glad you still check in on us. I really miss people from Colorado although I know you're not there anymore. As for couponing though...there are websites that do all of the work for you and you just have to get your coupons and they'll tell you what to do with them. grocerysmarts.com is one of many that you could use. Couponmom.com is another. Good luck!!

April Nielsen said...

This is another one you might like even better. savvyshopperdeals.com My cousin ran the ragnar too. I can't quite figure out how you guys things like that. You're amazing!

Nordgren Mommy said...

Hey Lisa, This is Jenifer Hartley, I got your blog from Jenny Cannegiter, I saw her while working at the Oquirrh Mountain Temple Open House. It has been so long, I can't believe how much time has gone by since Jr. High. You have a very cute family! I would love to hear from you! You can either leave a comment on my blog nordgrenkids(dot)blogspot(dot)com or you can email me at nordgren(at)q(dot)com. I hope to hear from you soon and I am so glad to see that you and your family are doing well.