Sunday, July 12, 2009

Grant Family Reunion

Every year my Mom's side of the family gathers up at the Reid Ranch near Tabiona, Utah for a reunion. We've gone for as long as I can remember with the exception of 1 year when my grandparents were serving a mission. It's fun to be able to take my kids now and let them enjoy what the ranch has to offer. Back in my day we didn't have to be outfitted with life jackets and helmets to ride horses, but with people that manage to fall off a horse on a well groomed trail while being led, insurance purposes call for more protection. Luckily my kids didn't mind and they had a great time riding the horses all by themselves. What parent would need to worry when your child is wearing a lifejacket?!!

My dad and cousin have created a potato gun launcher that we use every summer. Even the little kids can try out this gun.

Cody is aiming for a deer with this shot.
The Grant family loves volleyball and most of the original kids played in high school. We had our traditional games and roasted marshmallows over a bonfire. (Checkout that sunset!)
There will be 75 members of the Grant clan at the end of this week (my sister-in-law is having a baby on Friday) including spouses, grandkids and great grandkids. Only a few missed out this year.
We had a fun time catching up and hanging out with each other. It's been a tradition to go to Granny's in Heber for shakes after each reunion. We kept the tradition up this year, although Cody and I convinced the group to head to the Dairy Keen instead. Now that we are "locals" we think it's better. Plus they are closed on Sundays and who wouldn't want to support them. ; ) It was nice to only be 5 minutes away from home at that point.
This summer I've been taking my kids to my Grandpa Foster's house once a week to swim. Aubrey is our little mermaid diva.
Cole is just so dang cute and has the fattest cheeks. Tucker has learned to float in a life jacket (my goal for the summer) and loves his freedom to move around. Swimming lessons didn't work out so well this year, but now that he can float and is comfortable with the water, next year should go smoother.

6 comments:

Marisa said...

How funny are the lifejackets and helmets - pretty different from what it was like for us as kids! What will people think of next?

Karen, Mackay, Easton & Kallie said...

Cute pics! When we hanging out again!!?? easton has swimming monday wed and fri...so if you come down those days call me...we aren't done til' 12:45 though.

Leah and Mike said...

That picture of Cole is so cute!! He is getting so big. What a fun reunion you guys have. Yeah, call me when you can - we totally want to hang out soon!

Kevin said...

We missed being with everyone this year. At least Mckenna made it up to "Represent" for our family! Good thing it happens every year. Lisa and I were talking about how next year our baby boy will be almost 1 year old. Crazy, since he isn't even born yet. Only 5 more days to go!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I understand about the life jackets on a horse, in a boat yes. I wonder how all of us survided with out all of the saftey gear. I do realize a lot of it is really needed. The pictures are great and the children look like they are having a lot of fun. Cerola

Lisa said...

It was great seeing all your pictures of the Ranch! Mckenna came home and told us the story of shooting at the deer with the potato gun. Thanks for doing Kenna's hair when she was at the Ranch. She told me it looked like Aubreys.