Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Our Mountain Home

As the LDS Hymn sings:
"Our mountain home so dear,Where crystal waters clear flow ever free, Flow ever free, While thru the valleys wide, The flow’rs on ev’ry side, Blooming in stately pride, Are fair to see."

For those that don't know yet, Lisa and I are purchasing a dental practice in Park City, Utah and are returning to our mountain home so dear!

Lisa and I started feeling promptings back in early October to look for a practice for me to buy. We started to look mainly in Colorado, but kept our eyes on Seattle for the chance to be near my brother and we also eyeballed Utah for the slim possibility that a practice would pop up there (Utah is oversaturated with dentists, and the few opportunities that do come along are usually crap, I know because I have been watching for several years). While looking in Colorado I found a few practices that I liked and considered purchasing in the Denver and Fort Collins areas, but none that I absolutely loved. Then this one became available in Park City.

We were presented with an unbelievable offer we couldn't ignore. It is a fee-for-service practice that has 1500 active patients (last 18 months) and is in a very central and accessible location in Park City. The doctor is retiring for health reasons and has a beautiful office with very knowledgeable and friendly staff. He doesn't currently do any external marketing, so there is definitely potential for growth if I decide to pursue it. The doctor is also throwing in his 1 year old cerec milling unit and glazing oven for no additional cost (it's a $100,000 machine). It is a 3 operatory practice with room for a 4th if need be. It has very modern dental equipment including up to date Schick digital x-rays, Zoom one hour whitening, soft tissue laser, diagnodent, and intraoral cameras. It is basically the ideal practice that I want, regardless of location. The fact that it is in Park City just happens to be an additional great perk.

We will be moving out there at the end of this month-yeah, a lot sooner than we thought, but things have progressed so quickly that we shouldn't delay the start date later than necessary. We are sad that Lisa won't deliver our next baby here in Colorado, but oh well. We just thought that it would have been cool to have him in Colorado Springs. Right now we are running a hundred miles an hour trying to square everything away that we need to. I am busy trying to balance my current job and trying to get incorporated, get my business license and finalize the purchase of the practice. Lisa is busy with the kids and trying to find new housing for us, organize the move and find a new OB/GYN in Utah. Are there any OB/GYN's in Utah? Just kidding.

We are so excited for this job opportunity for me. For those of you that want to make the trip up to Park City and want to come see me for your dental work, this is what your uvula will see:



We are so excited to live close to our families and friends and be so close to the ski resorts. For those of you that haven't been there, Park City is such a beautiful city with so much recreation in both the summer and winter.


We won't have to live in Salt Lake Valley and deal with the traffic or smog, which makes me very excited.




Do I even need to mention anything about the world class skiing that will be at our door step?



Also, we will be living 15 minutes from 3 different water ski lakes.


In all, we are so very grateful for this opportunity. I feel bad for my current patients that I will be leaving behind, but I hope they understand. While we are really going to miss Colorado and the friends we have made here, we are anxious to start this next phase of life. Ever since I knew I wanted to be a dentist I never thought we would find a practice in Utah that was a good fit for us, but here we are moving back after we had planned to set up roots in Colorado. I am so excited and anxious to get started in the new practice, and I am very optimistic about the future of my career. We have been approved for the financing, so now we are just waiting for all the paper work to be submitted and finalized. Word Up! Utah, here we come.

37 comments:

dan and audrey said...

how exciting! congratulations on a great oppertunity! and good luck with the move and everything!!(:

Lisa said...

What great news...Park City will be wonderful!!

Deon said...

Woa! Really? Will you still pretend to know us when you are living the high life with all the celebs? I am sure this will be a great thing for you - fabulous!

Craig and Erin said...

We are thrilled for you guys to head back in our direction! I know cassie and Jordan will really miss you! I'm sure you will be renting for a bit until you get settled but let me know if you want me to send you listings. Interest rate are down this week around 5 1/2%! Good luck and let us know how we can help!

Starley Family said...

Congrats guys!

Unknown said...

that is so exciting! park city i really pretty! im a small town girl now however. I'll stay here! so free zoom whitening if i come to you? that sounds great?! they need whitened really bad i hate them! i hope if you are coming through here driving soon that you will take the time and stop to see us! Me and the girls are always here! just remember we live in lyman. we are only like 1 hr 15 min from park city. do you still have my number?

Anonymous said...

as long as you remember what dr. sensei said about zoom whitening i think youre good. and a free cerec? score!

paul

Kent said...

Cody, it was nice to get to know you and your family. I was so excited about finding a good dentist that I felt comfortable with. I don't think that I can drive to Park City for dental care, but I wish you the very best in your new adventure.

Leah and Mike said...

YAY!! Congrats!! We are so excited to live closer to you again - it's been way too long :)

Clark and Liesel said...

Congrats! Thats very exciting for you guys! Good luck with the move and getting everything all finalized!

Jenks Family said...

i have always wanted to go visit park city. we love water sking, and what a great place to go.

Katie said...

wow. that's crazy news you guys! that was so fast!! who would have ever thought that you'd end up in Utah. we're jealous that you'll be so close to family. it sounds like the ultimate hook up. congratulations dudes.

Karen, Mackay, Easton & Kallie said...

Yea!! I am so excited to not have to keep my trap shut anymore~! Never thought it would happen but i am so glad it did! perfect place too...just far enough away from family, but still close!

Sarah said...

How exciting and congrats!!! Good luck with the move...don't go into labor with all the stress Lisa! :)

Amanda said...

That is so awesome things just kinda worked out perfectly. What a terrific Christmas present! Good luck with everything.

Linds Forrest said...

WOW!! What INCREDIBLE news! That is amazing and congratulations on all the wonderful things for your family. That is so awesome! Good luck moving and all.

Unknown said...

WOW! Congrats you guys! And to think I thought we'd never live in the same state again! Well in May we will! Mark and I have always thought it would be great to live in Park City! I'll bet you will love it!

Maquel said...

Yay!!! This is such good news! I am so excited for you guys, but, if truth be told, I'm even more excited that you will be living near by. I hope everything goes well with your new practice, Cody!

Train Gang said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! This is so exciting!!!!!

I had a non-member ask me once why "...Mormons always have such nice teeth?" I thought it was a strange observation...but maybe its cause lots of mormon dentists?

Wish you could be our dentist!
good luck with the move and baby!!

Susan said...

That is awesome news!! I bet your family will be super excited to have you back in Utah - and Park City is super cool. :)

lucy said...

congrats and how exciting for you guys!! Park City is beautiful; what a great place to work. you take metlife?

Unknown said...

That's great! What an exciting time of life for you right now. Good luck with the move and the pregnancy...take care of yourself, Lisa, and don't over do it!!

Joan

Sjauna said...

Congratulations guys! I love seeing pictures of all your adventures in Colorado, so hopefully you'll keep it up in Utah! Good luck with the move!

Liz said...

Congrats guys! Fun and crazy times. Colorado Springs isn't big enough for you anyway. J/K. Good luck. My Dad's a great mover-just ask John and Debra!

ang said...

so cool! congrats!

lisa- give me an addy to send christmas cards to!!!

Anonymous said...

Dude! I'm pretty jealous. Park City is nice. It's out of the smog-ridden city and the lifestyle is slower and laid-back. Now that you're so close I might need to see you for a check-up. Maybe not. I'd be afraid of what you might do to me. It's nice to see friends have success. Congratulations, Cody!

Rachelle & Matt said...

congrats! what an exciting time and welcome back to utah!

Zoe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber said...

We are excited to have you guys near by. I am always up for a trip to PC. Good luck with all the moving and stuff. If there is anything we can do to help let us know.

The Hunsakers said...

What a crazy time of year to move. I hope that you don't go crazy. Our lease is up the end of this month and we opted to go one more month so we wouldn't have to worry about moving with the holidays. I'm excited for you and maybe when we come visit family we will actually see you now.

Rachel H said...

Congrats! Sure wish I could go back to Utah....sure wish. Hey email me your address so I can send you a Christmas card @ rjhampton@gmail.com.

Aaron and Melissa said...

I had NO idea about you moving. I am excited for you, but also a little bummed that you won't be in Colorado when we (probably) return there. Oh well. We will make visits to Utah to see family and will definitely visit you guys too! Good luck this month with everything!

Jessica D. said...

Congratulations, that is such great news! Good luck with the move, hope you get settled in quickly!

Anonymous said...

WEll congratulations. I guess we won't be hunting the big ones in CO. We will have to settle for the Utah deer in the Henry mountains. Boo. I guess you could always come out here and go dog(i mean whitetail) hunting.
Bryce

Anonymous said...

An oven? What is that for? A glazing oven? Sounds like you are becoming a baker, not a dentist! Glazing doughnuts, are we? I'd travel to Park city to have you drill my teeth in a no smog environment for a free doughnut afterwards...GREAT MARKETING!

Congrats on the move! You stay out of trouble out there. Remember, you are there to WORK...not ski all day.

Anonymous (i.e. Guess)

MEGAN said...

Wow, congratulations. I am sad that you are moving before we could get together. I am excited for this big step you guys are taking. That is very exciting. Hopefully we will get to see you sometime. Good luck with the move.

Nate and Jen Poulson said...

That's great guys. We hope to get back west as well, but the anesthesia groups out in UT are a little hard to get into, but we'll cross our fingers.
Good luck to you both in your upcoming adventures.