Wednesday, June 4, 2008

John Denver-poet or liar?

One of my favorite movies growing up was "Dumb and Dumber". In fact, one of my favorite lines in the movie was the one regarding John Denver. They questioned the honesty of John Denver regarding the Rocky Mountains. I am here to testify, that John Denver, in fact, was not full of it. These Rocky Mountains are awesome.
As much as Lisa and I enjoyed camping in Maryland and Delaware for the past four years, we always missed the Rocky Mountains. I loved being able to camp in the mountains of Utah with the pines and aspens. I loved the solitude that camping provides, something very, very rare in Maryland camping. And I loved the familiarity with the trout streams out west and the dirt roads and trails that are so non-existent in Maryland.
Tuesday morning Lisa and I packed up the Pathfinder and headed out to the Collegiate range with the kids. I went picture happy with this post, but it's with a purpose. One is to make those not near these kind of mountains jealous, and two, to prove that John Denver was right.
We headed to Buena Vista, and this is a scenic shot from the highway looking west.
We went to Cottonwood Lake, and set up camp. Here is our tent all set up.


This is the view we had from our campsite. Pretty amazing scenery.
Here is a shot of Cottonwood Lake looking east.

Another view from our campsite. Jealous yet?


Lisa standing next to our new rig.


Tucker tried his luck at fishing with this big stick. Surprisingly, he didn't get a bite.


We went for a hike as a family, and the kids loved it.


They really thought the rushing water under this bridge was cool.

Here is a glimpse at us lounging around the campsite. And if you notice my shirt, yes, O'doyle does rule.


Tucker and Aubrey loved playing with their chair. They would sit in it, get up, move it to the other side of the campsite, tussle over who got to sit in it there, and then move it again. They loved it.


Lisa taught Tucker the art of roasting marshmallows. He loved eating smores and helping daddy with the fire.


This picture shows just how much Aubrey loves gettting dirty. We couldn't keep her face clean for more than two minutes. She loves to roll around and get dirty. That's our little princess!

On the way out we saw a group of bighorn sheep, so I snapped a couple pictures of them with my new telephoto lens. What a sweet lens it is.

14 comments:

Amanda the Couch said...

those sheep are amazing, what kind of camera do you use? when are you coming to visit Utah?

Lisa said...

John Denver is definitley a poet! We would love to come camp with you guys. The views look amazing. I loved the picture of Tucker fishing with the giant tree branch. It looks like you are enjoying your new car. Pathfinders are the best!

Anonymous said...

Amanda, we use a Canon XT Rebel with a 70mm-300mm lens. We love it so much. We initially got it for the instant snap capability (it's impossible to catch the kids's smiles with a traditional digital camera). Lisa gave me the telephoto lens as my graduation gift, and it's been fantastic.

Lindsay said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. Looking at those pictures makes me excited to go camping! We love to camp and the smores make camping even better!

Carson Calderwood said...

Tell Tucker to keep trying with that stick!

Nice shirt!

It is true then that...
-[you've] seen it rainin' fire in the sky
-The shadow from the starlight is softer than a lullaby
-You can talk to God and listen to the casual reply
-[You have] Friends around the campfire and everybody's high

Tristina said...

This post made me miss Colorado!! I am glad you guys made it out safely!

Leah and Mike said...

Looks like you had a fun trip! I love Aubrey's messy face :) I can't wait to go camping...if it ever stops raining here!!

pacemaker said...

Hey Cody, good to hear you love Colorado. My nephew, Jason Madsen (do you remember Hyrum?) lives in Colorado Springs too, they love it there. Maybe you'll run into them. Check out my blog and you'll be able to see who they are. Congratulations on your graduation!
Gina Pace

Anonymous said...

I hear mountain sheep taste great. Juat kidding, that was just incase PETA was looking on. Great times had by all, Right? Wish we were there.
Love Mom and Dad

Spencer said...

Nice pics guys! I'll drink to that.......it is nice to be back in the mountains.......not doing the parking lot camp next to the drunks. I'll have to stop being lazy and post some pics of our place. We have some really pretty views of Mount Ogden and Antelope island.

Anonymous said...

Sweet pics man. I don't think we'll be seeing bighorn sheep in GA. OH well, just wanted to say hi.
Bryce

Carter Family said...

Just to put in my two cents too . . . man, I've gotta get a telephoto lens! Don't get me wrong, I love my digital zoom, but, you're right telephoto is much better for candids of kids. It sounds great to be settled and visiting sights around your new home . . . I can't wait!

Justin & Erin Linton Family said...

Awesome, Fun Camping!! Your making us miss Colorado

Aaron and Melissa said...

You are making Aaron homesick. His uncle is the head girls basketball coach in Buena Vista. Looks like you are guys are having a lot of fun.