Saturday, April 4, 2015

Grandpa Foster's Funeral

 While we were in Disney World we received news that my Grandpa Foster had passed away. He died in his bed. Apparently he had gotten up to get ready for stake conference, laid out his shirt and tie on his bed, turned the tv on in his room and gotten back in bed. He didn't show up to lead the music and his bishop called the house and then Brian to see if he was alright. Brian drove up to the house to find Grandpa in his bed. He was already cold and the paramedics guessed he had been gone for about 4 hours by the time he was found. Grandpa hadn't been sick at all. We are happy that he passed peacefully in his sleep as far as we know. It was a week after what would have been Grandma's 90th birthday. He was 89. He was such a wonderful man. The last time I saw him was Christmas Day. I loved his hugs and kisses. I was his Lisa Darling. You knew he loved you. He is missed.
Charles Eldred Foster passed away peacefully in his home on January 25, 2015. He will be remembered for his incredible singing voice, wonderful smile, passion for life, and his deep abiding faith and love for his family.  Everyone he ever knew or met was considered a friend.
Charles (Chuck) was the youngest of six children; three older brothers and two sisters.  His parents were Joseph D. Foster and Theresa Knell Foster.  Chuck was born on September 16, 1925 in Cedar City, Utah, where he was raised and eventually graduated from the Branch Agricultural College (BAC) with honors in Pre-dentistry.  Chuck enlisted in the United States Army Air Corp in November 1943, and met his sweet wife, Alice Trussel, at a USO dance in Sacramento, California.  The couple married on May 18, 1946, in the St. George LDS Temple.  Alice preceded Chuck in death in 2010.
Chuck attended Northwestern University in Chicago, Illinois, from 1948-1952, with his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree and practiced dentistry in Salt Lake City, Utah for 39 years.  Upon retiring from active dentistry, Chuck then worked as a Coordinator for the Utah Dental Association conventions where he retired in February 2013.  He held numerous positions in Dentistry including President of the Utah Dental Association, President of the Salt Lake District Dental Society, Chairman of the Board of the Council On Bylaws and Judicial Affairs and Member of the House of Delegates for the American Dental Association. He also received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the International College of Dentists. .
Chuck is known for his love of the mountains and served in all leadership positions for the Weber Meadowview Ranch Association, Wilde Ditch Irrigation Association, and Upper Weber Canyon Home Owners Association since 1968.
As an active member of the LDS Church, Chuck held many positions of responsibility, but undoubtedly cherished his time serving as a member of the Tabernacle Choir for 20 years.  His love for music was shared with many through church, weddings, talent shows, musicals, and funerals.  Chuck was also a member of the Ambassador Quartet which won numerous talent competitions.  His musical artistry will be remembered fondly by all who heard him sing.
Chuck is survived by his children; Christine (David Granere), Kenneth (Susan), Brian (Deanne), 16 grandchildren and 26 great-grandchildren.   He was preceded in death by his son Michael (Kim) and two great-grandchildren.
Funeral Services will be held on Saturday, January 31, 2015, at the Salt Lake Mt. Olympus Stake Center, 4176 So Adonis Dr., Salt Lake City, Utah 84117, at 12:00 noon.  A viewing will be held prior to the service from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.  Friends may call Friday evening at Larkin Sunset Gardens, 1950 East 10600 South, Sandy, Utah 84092, from 5:00 pm to 7:00 p.m.  Condolences may be made to

His funeral was held the following Saturday after his death. Cody was asked to dedicate the grave. He did a wonderful job. Grandpa was a war veteran and was given a military salute. The spirit was strong as TAPS was played. 

My Dad and his brother Brian.

Sorry if this bothers some of you. I thought the mortuary did a wonderful job with my Grandpa and really wanted to hold his hand and take a photo. My family didn't mind so I went ahead and took the shot. I've never touched a deceased person and was surprised at how cold he was. I held his hand through my Grandma's funeral 4 years ago, I love him so much.