Thursday, April 26, 2012

Running With Lisa 5K

My Fun Run was held last Saturday in Midway and it turned out amazing! The weather was perfect and I believe everything went off without a hitch. This is my wonderful friend, Laura. She organized the entire thing with the help of some other awesome friends of mine.
 
Angie and Amber. 
I am so blessed to have wonderful friends and a support group right here where I live.
 The race wasn't set to begin until 9:00am, but my little family went over at 8:00 to see if any help was needed. A bunch of my friends from Maryland had planned together to meet at town square at 8:30 to present me with a gift. About 40 of my friends, from now all over the world, put together a beautiful quilt for me. It is something I will cherish and value my whole life. To see the individual blocks, you might have to be friends with my friend Stacey, but if not, this link might take you to it. Each girl individualized their quilt block/blocks for me with a memory, quote or something else. Below pictured is Hannah, Emily, me, Stacey, Natalie, Jayne and Adrienne. Many of these girls came from out of state and each of them are dear friends of mine.
The race began at 9:00 and I was put at the front of the line with Cody. We took off running. You can see Aubrey riding her little bike in the right of the picture. I ran with Cody for the first little bit, then he took off and I finished the run with my cousin Loren and his wife, Britney.
 It was definitely not my best timed run, but it was gorgeous and beautiful.
 Cody's cousins came to visit Midway a month or so ago and brought me several items intended for an auction (that has not happened yet). One of his cousins has an amazing embroidery machine and she made these sweatshirts. What a cool reminder for my Mom and I to have/wear. I have a couple extra if anyone is interested.



 
So I never found out a final count of people that came to the race Saturday, but I do know that over 500 were signed up/registered as of Friday evening. The turnout was overwhelming. Family, friends and community members definitely rallied together for me. I went to the grocery store later that day and had random strangers coming and talking to me, telling me that they were at the race. This is a picture of most of my family members that came to the race. My Dad's band, the Ken Foster Trio, also played in the gazebo during the breakfast and the race. It was quite fun and the kids were able to dance and sing along.
Our backyard neighbor put this video together with the neighborhood kids to promote the race. It's so fun to watch. Check it out here. Thank you to all who helped put this together. We were able to raise a lot of money to help with my medical bills and we feel extremely blessed.

3 comments:

Susan said...

It was such a great race Lisa! I loved getting to be there! It makes me want to move to Midway... it's so gorgeous there. I'm so happy the turnout was so wonderful :)

Lisa said...

We were so sad we couldnt be there. We had the worse luck last week with me breaking my foot and Kev so sick he couldnt get off the couch. I am so glad you had a great turnout. The quilt your friends made you is really cute. We thought about you all that day. We will be there for your auction!

Lis said...

Thought of you all day! Sad to be far enough away to miss it but know that you are constantly in our thoughts! Love ya!