Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Update

Lisa is now into week two of her radiation treatments.  She is going every day Monday through Friday at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center.  She will be doing this for 5 more weeks.  She is now on 6 different medications:  the ambien so she can actually go to sleep at night, the temodar for her chemotherapy, an antibiotic (dopsone) for while she is undergoing radiation and her immune system is susceptible, the Kepra for her seizures, the decadron to reduce the swelling on her brain that is triggering the seizures, and zofran to prevent the nausea that is associated with the radiation and chemo.
Here are some photos of her at her radiation appointment.  
They made a plastic "mask" for her for each treatment that holds her head in a specific position to ensure accuracy.  Kind of odd looking.


Here she is in place ready to get zapped.

A photo of her radiation team.

Last Friday I had work off so Lisa and I ran a lot of errands.  Now that she can't drive we try to maximize our time together when I'm home to get everything done that we need to.  We took a trip down to South Jordan and after going to the temple we went to a wig shop to help Lisa pick out some wigs.  Her hair should start falling out next week and she will probably be without hair for many months, so we wanted to get her some wigs before it happened.  We ended up going with the blond and the brunette.  It is weird for me to see her with a different hair color.  I often have to do a double take when I walk in to a room and see her.  Cole doesn't like the blonde one apparently.  Whenever Lisa puts it on he says, "No, not that one!".  I think my favorite is the brunette wig because it's fairly similar to what she had before, just a different color.

I decided to try on a wig for fun, and I felt like a rock star.  Maybe for Halloween this year.

Also, we have updated runningwithlisa.com and encourage you to go check out the latest information with regards to her race.  We can't thank Paul Barker enough for getting the website up and running.  Also, a very big thank you to everyone who has donated so far.  We are so grateful and emotional to see the outpouring of love and support for Lisa in all this.  Thank you everybody!

5 comments:

Carson Calderwood said...

Great pix

Girl With The Swirl said...

Lisa, thanks for visiting my blog too. I'm glad you got to have some fun trying on wigs. Love the pictures.
Just a thought, a lot of hospitals have a salon that offers to buzz your hair off...and if you so choose you can do it before it happens. Ive heard from a lot of cancer patients they wished the did it at first before the clumps started coming out. Sensitive subject hope I'm not upsetting,. But I just did it before it fell out and it was quite liberating because I had control of it and no control of anything else. Or if anything do a cute bob cut first to transition :) good luck with the radiation.I also have taken zofran recently. very interesting process the radiation pics. Good luck, and hope you feel good!

Girl With The Swirl said...

You know what I think from your pics it looks like you might already done it? Anyhow, beautiful with and without hair.

Marie said...

Hi Lisa, this is Marie (Woodhead) from the old Granite 9th ward. I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I want you to know, though, that your strength, faith, and good attitude are so inspiring to me especially as a mother. Please know that I think about you daily and that you and your beautiful family are in my prayers!!!!

Kurt said...

Cody I love the wig!! Great humor in all this.

Heidi Laird